How to do outreach queer and trans anti-militarism in your communities:
- Identify queer/trans events or spaces where you can do outreach (LGBT film festivals, picnics, sports events, pride events, youth events, beaches, bars, comedy events)
- Form a team of people who want to do outreach with you
- Have a meeting where you talk about why you want to do this together, logistics, maybe role-play conversations you might have while doing outreach
- Make a sign up sheet for outreach at upcoming events, aiming to have people do outreach at least in groups of two
- Print out stickers, posters, t-shirts, or whatever you want to use (below, or design your own!)
- Go out and meet people and give away cute stuff!!
Posters You Can Print!
We Like Our Queer Out of Uniform by JB Brager
Contact a local print shop and print your own to distribute! Use the linked pdf right above this text to print the high resolution version. Or, if you prefer to order prints individually, you can do so on Micah’s site.
Use these designs to print your own, or make up new designs.
New Sticker Designs from Chris Vargas:
Our 2018 Sticker Designs–Still Awesome!:
You can print your own t-shirts to wear while doing outreach. Here is one T-shirt design, with text for front and back. We silk screened ours by hands with friends, but you can also get them printed from local shops or online.
Wheatpasting posters all over town is a great way to spread the message. Here are black and white versions of Chris Vargas’ designs so that you can print them cheaply on a copy machine and wheatpaste them. Here are some wheatpasting instructions.
On the Problems with Queer and Trans Military Inclusion
- Collection of articles critical of queer/trans military inclusion efforts, at Against Equality
- Mattilda Sycamore, Swords Into Marketshare, The Baffler, Sept. 2017
- Meet the Trans Scholar Fighting Against the Campaign for Out Trans Military Service, BuzzFeed, Sept. 2013
- What Role Should the Military Play in the Fight for Transgender Rights?, Democracy Now, July 2017.
- AFSC Counter Recruitment Resources
- Five ways to counter military recruitment in your school district
- Truth in Recruiting, National Network Opposing the Militarization of Youth
- 2016 Back-to-school Kit for Counter-recruitment and School Demilitarization Organizing
- If You Change Your Mind, You May Not Have to Go: Getting out of the Delayed Entry Program is easy [PDF]
- Why Talk about Conscientious Objection with Youth?
- Conscientious Objection: Is This for You? Discerning a Claim and Documenting It with Selective Service